#WeekInJustice: Week 107
January means the opening of the Arizona State legislative season, and our Core Values at the People’s Office come squarely into focus as we work to educate, inform, and advocate for laws that directly address the health and safety needs of Pima County:
- Supporting a bill that extends the Good Samaritan law that protects people from arrest or prosecution who call 911 in the case of a drug overdose.
- Making a third attempt at diversion funding, after the legislature stripped Pima County and Maricopa County of such funds the last two sessions.
- Supporting any bills that aim to address the proliferation of firearms with commonsense reforms.
We will also continue education campaigns:
- On Cash Bail Reform. Having our proposed sponsor retire, we are searching for a new sponsor for our bill, to continue to educate how cash fails to protect us on both ends of the detention spectrum.
- Red Flag Law. Arizona came close on this very sensible gun legislation that allows for a temporary prohibition on gun possession where the likelihood of self-harm, or harm to others, is great, and Arizona can cross the line on this in the future.
We plan to be present and ready to testify on all of these topics with data from Southern Arizona.
To be continued,